Friday, August 15, 2008

Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning

"Oh how lovely was the Morning, radiant beamed the sun above. ....When within the shady woodland, Joseph sought the God of Love."

Last week into the weekend, our family, along with our ward youth, took a trip to Palmyra. We decided to go a few days before so that we could experience the Sacred Grove on our own. We have never taken this trip until now. Sydney had been here with the youth before. What a feeling it was to step into the Grove. It had such reverence about it that it brought me to tears as we entered. I never thought I would have the opportunity to ever see this place. Even though you are standing in the middle of trees, you can't help but whisper because it's such a sacred place. I felt so blessed to be able to go here and feel the spirit so strong. I felt such a thankfulness, and love for the Prophet Joseph Smith. It made so grateful for the gospel and the blessings it has brought into my life.




This was Nick and Steve before we entered. Nick isn't as miserable as he looks. Nick said it was a good trip because the temple makes it a good trip. What a good kid! On Friday, the youth came up for the two days. We had been there for a couple of days. Even though I don't have a young women's calling anymore, I still love these girls. Sydney is smashed in the middle there. When, the youth arrived, we met at the Hill Cumorah. They did their usual roll down the hill. We then watched a Joseph Smith movie at the visitor's center. What a powerful movie. Maddie had so many questions and I had never seen the movie. It was powerful and really well done. It made me appreciate the Prophet Joseph even more. It's one thing to read about but when it's brought to life on screen, it is very emotional.
Saturday morning we spent at Joseph Smith's family farm and then we gathered into the grove. Our bishop gave a great message and then sent the youth on their own to walk through the grove. Later that afternoon, the youth changed and went into the temple to do baptisms. Steve went with our kids to help and I stayed out with Maddie. The youth were able to complete 274 baptisms. Needless to say, the temple said we could come back anytime.



Our family was able to tour the printing shop where the first Books of Mormon were published. Whi'le Steve and the kids were in the temple, Maddie and I went back there and went to a bookstore next door. The buildings in downtown Palmyra are quite similar to how they were in the 1800's. It was like walking back in time when we entered the building, except for the air conditioning. The flooring in the print shop was the orginal flooring.

Maddie posed for this picture when we went as a family. She wasn't very interested in this shop but I think she enjoyed the Hill Cumorah and the grove more.

The experience we had will always be well worth the trip. If I never go into the grove again or if I never had gone in, I will always be grateful for this gospel and all that our Savior has done. I didn't need to gain a testimony by going there, but it certainly strengthened it.



1 comments:

Angel said...

man, way to make me cry! I love this post, i wish i could have been there with you because it sounds way better than Fike's Cabin!

Miss Ya'll like crazy.

Big Kiss,

Ang